20 Interesting Facts About Earth
Earth is home of billion people like us. For us if Earth didn’t exist than life didn’t exist. We are living on Earth but there are several facts which we don’t know about earth. Some interesting lesser known facts about earth are given as below:
1. Earth is the only planet whose English name does not derive from Greek/Roman mythology. The name came from the word ‘erda’ which is an Anglo-Saxon word that means soil or ground.
2. The continents move every year by 2 centimeter distance.
3.An average humans fingernails grow at about the same rate Africa and South America are moving.
4.Among all the planet in solar system, Earth and Mercury are known to have densest compositions. This means their particles are closely packed together.
5. The core temperature of earth is hotter than the surface of the sun!!! (Earth’s core temperature may reach up to 6000 degree Celsius.)
6.Scientists say that there is a mass extinction of life on earth about once every 30 million years. And according to scientists, since it’s been about 35 million years, we are past due and the next mass extinction may include us.
7. 3.5 billion years is the age of bacteria fossils found in Australia. This is the longer than earth’s atmosphere has had oxygen.
8.55 tones is the weight of earth’s largest crystal, found beneath Mexico’s Nazca silver mine.
9. 99% of earth’s gold lies in the core.
10. Lutetium, the least abundant rare earth element is nearly 200 times more common in the earth’s crust than gold.
11. Earth is the only planet in our solar system with plate tectonics.
12. 90% of all volcanic activity occurs in the oceans.
13.90% of rubbish in the world’s ocean is plastic.
14.1 litter of sea water contains 13 billionths of a gram of gold.
15.Antarctica has as much ice as the Atlantic Ocean has water.
16. 97% of water on earth is salted only 3% is fresh.
17.In 2012, the hole in the layer of Ozone was smaller than it has ever been in the last 10 years.
18. Earth is smoother than the bowling bowl.
19.China’s air pollution is visible from space not the Great Wall of China.
20.The world’s worst earthquake occurred in the year 1556 in china killing approximately 830 thousand people.